Saturday, June 21, 2008

TMGS is a mission school; hence 'government aided' - CIPUT

A couple of days ago, I went to the library to check out some books on TMGS and the history of education in Malaysia. I found quite a number of books which talked about TMGS. One of the things that I found out is that TMGS is classified as a 'mission school' because she was founded by the Methodist missionaries a century ago. As a result of this, her status is different from schools like King Edward when it comes to government funding. KE is a fully aided by the government. TMGS only receives a 'token', OR in other words which all can and will understand 'CIPUT'. She is categorized as 'sekolah bantuan modal' (aided school - the term I found in one of the books I read). Now, I know why the Edwardians are so rich, and why the Treacherians (it seems this is the reference used by the younger OGs and the present Girlz) are so poor.

Yes, I am pissed now. Why is TMGS being discriminated when it comes to receiving financial help? FOR THE SAKE OF EDUCATION, help all schools fully irrespective of whether the school is a Methodist, a Catholic, a Protestant, or a MUSLIM. PLEEEEEZ....We are in the millennium that sees a Malaysian going to space (for how much???? ). The school is Methodist, but the girls come from all religious and racial background. Personally, I am thankful to ALLAH, Abah, and Mak for giving me the opportunity to go to TMGS. Or I would not be able to meet Lean See, Nita, Inah, Fiza, Ai Loon, Judy, Phoebe, Oi Mei, Fooi Lin, Poh Cheng, Poh Gaik, the two Fat(i)mas - Najla and Timah, Fooi Lin, Siti Salina, Ani Basri, Carol to name a few. If I were to go to a different , my friends might be Minah, Tipah, Siti, Leha, and no Swee Bin, Vasanthi, or Charlet, like what is happening to my nieces - Kak Long, Kak Ngah, Angah, and Adik.

Oops always digress.. Anyhow, will write and post a summary of our school history later..the lid of my eyes keep falling...what to say, history books almost always make me yawn. This could be the side effects of memorizing dates in all the tawarikh and sejarah books and jumbling and fumbling them up later during tests and exams... All I can recall now is how much alike Pn. Zaiton and Marina Chin, the former national athlete, when I looked at their face.. just like Lean See and Lin Chin Hsia...Or could be from the side effect waking for the whole night last night for worrying too much about Mak's tooth..

No comments: